Long Day – Cold Hospital

Yesterday was a very long day. We woke at 4:30am to get to the hospital in Madison by 7:00am and didn’t leave the hospital until 3:30pm. The two-hour trip there was interesting due to a severe thunderstorm that we drove through and on the way back, we were too tired to even stop at the half-way mark for our “normal” Culver’s hamburgers. Needless to say, there was no energy left in even the tips of my fingers to type a blog entry.

Now, on to the news. Greg is doing wonderfully and all tests came back with great results. All the tests and procedures went smoothly – until the last appointment of the day – transplant clinic. You see Greg’s tests/procedures ended around 11:30am and even though they had us down for a 4pm clinic appointment (which we protested), we were told by our transplant coordinator just to come in after the last test/procedure and they would squeeze us in right away. Clinic opened at 1pm and we were there with bells on at 12:50pm (after grabbing some quick hospital food). When did we finally get seen???? 3pm!!!

Yes, my friends. We waited over 2 hours to be seen and for what?? Nothing! They could have talked to us over the phone because they didn’t even do an exam in the clinic – everything had been done earlier that day! We were so exhausted and Greg’s hepa filter mask – which he HAD to wear the entire time in the waiting area – was now embedded deeply into my husband’s red face. The band marks did not remove their marks until almost 1 hour after he was finally able to take the mask off.

Am I angry? No. Anger had left me quite some time ago. Yesterday we were both filled with frustration. I would have had no problem if they would have said that the appointment had to stay at 4pm – we would have just rescheduled that part of his appointment. It was the sitting and waiting – upon false pretenses that bothers me. Call me anal retentive but if someone says they are going to do something; I expect them to come through on their end. I would rather someone not promise and surprise us rather than over promise and not deliver.

Can I get an “amen, sister”?? (smile)

After her husband received a double-lung (bilateral) transplant in 2004, Shannon founded the Angel Cove Organ Donation Awareness Shop, which provides awareness t-shirts and gifts products for transplant recipients, living organ donors and donor families - giving 100% of the profits to help heart and lung transplant recipients with medical costs. Shannon lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin with her wonderful husband and two chocolate Labrador Retrievers.

Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.